PART 1: PRACTICING ON YOUR MANNEQUIN
STEPS TO GET STARTED PRACTICING
You have a good base knowledge of eyelash extensions. Now, let’s get to the fun part and start actually practicing on your mannequin head. I definitely recommend practicing on the mannequin head and not on a real person at this point so you don’t accidentally hurt someone. If you don’t have a mannequin head, you can purchase one on Etsy here.
The video goes through the steps you will take to set-up for an appointment.
1. Set-up your sanitary station. You will need: a lash tray, lash glue, two microfiber wands, a mascara wand, lash cleanser, witch hazel, under-eye pads, micropore tape, double-sided tape, a glue ring, an isolation tweezer, and an application tweezer.
2. Cut your lash strips as shown in the video. This is done for sanitation purposes.
3. Clean the lashes and eyelid with the foaming lash cleanser. Make sure you only use a cleanser formulated for the eye area.
4. Rinse the eyes. Turn the client/mannequin’s head to one side and rinse with water (you could also use saline solution). Put a tissue at the temple to catch excess water. On a real client, you wouldn’t want the water to get into their ears. That doesn’t feel good.
5. Prime the lashes with witch hazel. You can buy it here on Amazon if you don’t have any.
6. Cut slits into the eye pads. This helps the eye pads fit each client’s eye shape better. Once eye pads are opened in the package, they must be used right away because the sticky stuff on the back of the eye pad will dry out.
7. Apply the eye pads. On a real client, you will want to make sure you cover all the bottom lashes.
8. Use the micropore tape to pull the eyelid gently towards you so it is easier to see the lashes.
9. Put double-sided tape onto your glove. Position it so it is on your non-dominate hand and in line with your pointer finger knuckle. Watch the video to see positioning.
10. Pull off a lash strip portion and put on your glove on top of the double-sided tape. Press the base of the lash strip into the glove so it is nicely stuck on there.
11. Stretch out your glue ring (so it doesn’t cut off your circulation), and put onto either your thumb or pointer finger on the non-dominate hand.
12. Shake your glue with the cap on.
13. Hover and drop a single drop into your glue ring.
14. Wipe your glue lid with a glue wipe. Don’t use a tissue because it will get stuck to the tip of the glue bottle.
15. Put the glue lid back on tight.
Now, you are all set-up and ready to start applying the lash extensions! Move onto the next section when you are ready.
Answer the questions below and then check your answers by clicking the down arrow next to it. Just a reminder…there is a final exam at the end of this course and in order to receive your certificate, you will need to pass it. Re-read the information above if you didn’t pass the quiz below.
So that you have single-use strips. NEVER, EVER, EVER reuse a lash strip on multiple clients. This could cause an infection in a client’s eye and they could possibly sue you. This is a bad industry practice. Always cut your lash strips as show in the video and throw out any remaining lashes at the end of the service.